Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Read Alouds: Berenstain Bears

On our most recent trip to the local library, there was quite the display of Berenstain Bear books (and videos).  My children were immediately filling our bag with the books.  Actually, E (age 2) found a book that he decided would be better to hold onto instead of placing in the bag (the Big Road Race, as seen below).  At one point I told M that if she wanted another BB book, she would need to trade it for one we already had in the bag so we could leave a selection for other children.

I really like Berenstain Bear books because Stan and Jan (and sometimes Mike) Berenstain know children and families so well!  My daughter, especially, seems to relate well with the problems the Bear cubs face.


The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road RaceThe Berenstain Bear and the Big Road Race tells of four big, fast cars in a race.  Brother is also in the race in a little red car that just says, "Putt, putt, putt" instead of roaring and growling like the other engines.  Despite being the slowest car, Little Red finishes the race...in first place, of course.  Being that my son does not know colors yet, I liked how each car was a different color...and each driver had a different problem (like bragging or hunger) that allowed Little Red to persevere.

The Berenstain Bears Love Their Neighbors (Berenstain Bears/Living Lights)The Berenstain Bears Love Their Neighbors tells all about how nice of a community the bears have...except for the Bogg brothers.  However, when it comes down to the Bears needing help, it's the Bogg brothers who come to the rescue.  The Bear family quickly realizes their mistake, and invite them over to dinner.  This title is part of the Living Lights series (published by Zonderkidz) with a Christian message, though anyone can enjoy this book.

Bears in the Night is a perfect book for a beginning reader!  The story is extremely simple in language, but rather amusing to read!  Though it does not use complete sentences, I really enjoy this book.  The repetitive nature is effective and great for that beginning reader!  My daughter read this book with almost no help!

Bears in the Night (Bright & Early Books(R))Seven bear cubs are in one bed.  They hear a noise outside and decide to investigate...and sneak outside.
"Out of bed
To the window
At the window
Out the window
Down the tree
Over the wall..."
Personally, this may have been my favorite Berenstain book of the day, but that's probably because my daughter was able to read it to me.  Success is a wonderful thing, you know!  I just wish the bears looked like themselves instead of rats in the book.

The Berenstain Bears and the Missing Dinosaur Bone (Beginner Books(R))The Bear cubs even get into some serious mystery solving in The Berenstain Bears and the Missing Dinosaur Bone.  Three cubs and their dog, Snuff, are the Bear Detectives, helping find the missing dino bone before the Bear Museum opens for the special showing.  Like Bears in the Night, it is also a Beginner Book, but not nearly as simple in language and text.  Still a fun book though!

These were all enjoyable to read.  It was a little Berenstain Bear book party!  hehe!

I'm linking up over at Hope is the Word today!  Check it out for additional read alouds of various kinds!

5 comments:

Miller Moments said...

We love the BB books! Very much a favorite in our house.

Laura at Library of Clean Reads said...

We loved reading BB books when my kids were younger, although sometimes I still sneak one in for my 7 year-old. They teach wholesome values and we could relate to the issues as a family.

Ticia said...

I love Berenstain Bears too. They're just great!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

BB have been in the rotation lately here, too! So glad you linked up this week!

Carrie said...

I have a hard time with the BB now that I'm older and read how the father figure is portrayed. That said, I never noticed that about the books when I was little and so I still have fond memories of them. We do have a copy of The Big Road Race in our home library and were reading it just the other day, actually.

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10